Carpentry is incomplete until it gets to meet with woodworking tools. So when it’s deliberation about carving, plunging, and profiling edges it would be an injustice not to remark Best Wood Router. With my years of experience, I have compiled a review of top-rated router tools. So if you are a woodworker or hobbyist, this review will serve your every intent.
What’s in this Best Wood Router Review?
The very first thing that you will be accomplished in this review is the far-reaching features of the router tool along with a complete buyer’s guide.
Moreover, I will enlighten all brands, kinds, and purposes of wood routers.
Let’s have a glimpse of what’s inside this review.
- Top Best Wood Router Tools
- Best Buy Routers (Cheap & Reliable)
- Router Types
- Palm/Hand Routers
- Plunge Router
- Detailed Buyer’s Guide
- And a bit info about CNC Routers
So, I would illuminate each of the above-featured items with diverse angles.
10 Best Wood Router Review
This review has multiple partitions upon the need, features, and user’s expertise level. So we will converse the routers for various workers.
1. DEWALT DWP611PK Compact Wood Router
When a beginner comes to me and inquires which one is the best wood router for beginners? Then my very first response comes out with Dewalt.
Though, this routing power tool is not solitary for novices, as many professional and skilled woodworkers are nourishing their projects with it.
It has a dimension of 7 x 10.2 x 19.2 inches while carrying the 8 pounds of weight.
So this tool assists the workers in reaching from beginner to expert. And what makes it worthier is it’s easy to understand for everyone. Believe me or not if you have nothing to do with carpentry, you can even handle this small tool.
Anyways, there is a little drawback related to the overheating issue. Although it doesn’t get heated very quickly, constantly running on full speed will hype this tool up.
- Accessories in the Kit: So let’s start with the box as I know you must be wondering about what you would see once you unpack the box. There is a router itself with a plunge base and a wrench to make spindle adjustments. Also, there is a nylon bag inside the kit.
- Horse Power (HP): 7 amps and 2.25 hp motor is always ready to plunge, trim, and cut the wood.
- Variable Speed & High RPM: Dewalt is branding for highly durable and compact size tools. So this small router has a variable speed dial that swaps from 1 to 6 points that gives your constant speed. However, each glide gives you a bump of 2200 rpm whilst the rpm is fluctuating from 16000 to 27000 max. The setting of the dial from 1 to 3 is for larger cutting bits, and 4 up to 6 for smaller bits. There is an 8 feet long cord that lifts the electricity of the tool.
- Dust-Free Power Switch: The power button is fully enveloped with a dust-free plastic. So it ensures the durability of the power button.
- Micro Height Adjustment Scale: On the motor housing, you will see a micro-height adjustment scale to set the router’s height. Also, it can turn at 360-degree with an aluminum ring. A slick smooth dial for the height adjustment of the router from up to down. Then there is a small lever lock to tuck the router in.
- Easy to Assemble: If you want to change the bit height, depress the lever and base will slide out. It also has a spindle lock that makes changing the bits super-easy. Comes with 1.25 or quarter-inch collet.
- LED Lights: Router comes with two LED lights that are spotted at the base of the tool. Lights make the operation more convenient and precise. D-style Base: With crystal clear D-style see-through material base you can keep an eye on your routing and plunging easily.
- Plunge Base: Comes with plunge-base of Dewalt DNP612 so you can upgrade from fixed to plunge base anytime. This base also has a turret with an adjustable reference needle as of 0 to 2 inches scale. It also has very smooth plunging rods.
- Easy Grip: However the handles of the plunge base are made up of some cheap plastic yet are coated with rubber gripping for easy and safe grip.
- Soft Start Feature: The motor tends to start softly which makes it easy to handle even when a novice is operating it.
- 2.25 hp & 12 AMP motor
- Can be engaged with a fixed base and plunge base
- Compact and powerful
- Aluminum constructed motor housing
How do I use my DeWalt 611 router?
Using 611 or any router from Dewalt is a pretty easy job. Just hold up the palm router, glide it sideways the edges if you intend to trim the edges or plunge in straight to the point.
Does DeWalt have a router table?
Currently, they are not producing a router table.
How do I change the bit on my DeWalt router?
Since there are two different kinds of bits, one is 8 inches while the other is a quarter inch. So first make sure which one you have in your router shaft.
- Once examine the bit height, select the collet size accordingly.
- Now slide the collet into the shaft and then screw it up with the collet nut.
- Position your bit into the collet and wrench it up.
- Now the new bit is in your router’s collet.
2. Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Tool
The very first thing I like about this high quality and the best wood router is its rock hard and durable case. Yes, the Bosch is delivering a nice looking yet sturdy case to enclose the router tool inside it.
The device weighs 18.2 pounds while having the dimensions of 6 x 11.5 x 11.6 inches.
Open the case and you will meet with a fixed base and plunge one. Moreover, the fixed base is crafted with two decent looking wooden grips. So you can grab the tool easily without causing any slipping and jerks.
Another best feature is a motor speed adjustment meter. Spin the meter from points 1 to 6 to get the desired speed of the motor.
If we talk about the rpm then it ranges from 8000 to 25000 RPM with constant speed. While the product is classic so you have to pay a classic amount as well.
- Horse Power & RPM: It’s a beast with 2.25 hp that encourages the motor to reach 8000 to 25000 RPM with constant speed. It’s the best choice if you are dealing with some big woodworking projects.
- Two in One Base: One is fine but two is superior so Bosch understands this terminology very well. That’s why you will get two bases with one router power tool. One base if for plunge whilst the other is fixed.
- Two Collet Sizes: Toggle between two different sizes of the collet. One is for larger bits or half-inch collets and the other is for smaller bit height or 1-1/4 inch collet.
- Aluminum Base Motor Housing: This high quality and best router come with a high-quality aluminum base that makes it rigid and durable.
- Micro Fine Adjustment: So you want to go in hundredths of an inch or tenth of an inch, then try the micro-fine adjustment system to get the most defined depths.
- Quick Clamp: You don’t need to use any specific type of tool to position your router into the base. Just clamp in down and twist it clockwise, close the lever lock and you are all set to go.
- Soft-Start Feature: I am pretty sure that you are not willing to get a rip right out when you start your power tool. That’s why Bosch is offering a soft-start mechanism that covers all the jerks and blows when you start the tool.
- Persistent RPM Delivery: It’s a really good feature that allows you to work constantly whilst there are some tough hurdles in the way of your tool. The circuitry is engineered with persistent rpm delivery technology. Therefore, when carving through a wood that is rigid or tough to whittle then this feature will automatically kick in more RPMs and horsepower to sustain the condition and maintain the RPMs where they would suppose to be.
- Ample Wooden Grippers: Contain two nice wooden grippers that will permit an accurate hold during plunging or trimming
- 2.25 hp high power & 12 AMP motor
- Can be engaged with a fixed base and plunge base
- Compact and powerful
- Aluminum constructed base
How do I use my Bosch router 1617evspk?
It’s pretty easy and comfortable to use a Bosch router. There are two tasks that you can perform with this tool.
So, determine your intent, and glide this tool easily on the wooden surface.
How do I use the plunge router on Bosch 1617?
A plunge router is a type of router that hollows out a piece of a surface from the center. So while you are willing to use this tool for plunging then first things is
- Select the plunge base and combine it with router motor
- Now grab the rubber gripping and start plunging right away
- Use different bits for different shapes and sizes
How do I change the bit on my Bosch router?
Changing a router’s bit isn’t so tricky. In the case of Bosh
- Take a wrench and loosen the collet
- Remove the previous bit
- And then pick up your new bit
- Insert in the shack and again tighten the collet with a wrench
3. Ryobi Cordless Fixed-Base Wood Router
Are you tired of rolling a cord of your router like a lasso of a cowboy? However, I can envision this scenario very well.
So what if a tool comes with a magical cord that nobody can see? Yes, we have an amazing router tool that is none other than the Ryobi cordless fixed-base trim router.
Yes, now you can get rid of the hassle of extended length cords or cables. Because the router is blessed with an 18-volt powerful lithium-ion battery.
Best small router for beginners and for those who are willing to purchase a router for the first time. It comes with 1.25 inch Collet size and weighs only 3.4 pounds and has a measurement of 10 x 5 x 10 inches.
I would title it as, “a marriage between beauty and supremacy” because it has both assets. By way, the design is so vibrant yet performance is durable. So this is the perfect blend of quality and style.
Because nothing is perfect so this router tool is a bit less in torque and vibrates more than other corded routers.
- 18V Lithium-Ion Battery: Since it’s a cordless fixed-base trim router so the main source of power is a high-performance battery. The battery has a run time of almost 600 feet.
- 29000 RPM Motor: Features a powerful 29000 RPM motor that ensures the fast and precise operation and constant speed as well.
- Cordless: A true cordless trimmer with a battery crown on its head.
- Micro adjustment Knob: Installed with a micro-adjustment knob for precise depth adjustment and fine-tuning. Twist the knob to get a little nice measure to slide it up and down.
- Spindle Lock Button: For tightening or loosen the collet to put bits in and out without any hassle.
- Aluminum Base: The base is all constructed with die-cast aluminum and Heavy-duty grade polycarbonate plastic with allocation to remove and insert the custom one.
- LED Bulb: LED light bulb at the bottom of the base illuminates the working area.
- Warranty: Comes with 3 years of warranty.
- Cordless and compact
- Long-lasting battery life
- LED bulbs for more vibrant visual
- A firm 29000 RPM battery
- One battery is compatible for all Ryobi routers
- Operable with ¼ inch router bit height
- No motor speed adjustment
- The battery is a bit bigger
- No edge guide in the box
How do you use a Ryobi fixed base router?
If you are confused about the maneuver of Ryobi then you shouldn’t be as the tool is super friendly with novices. This is cordless and there are no strings attached.
Operate the tool right the way you want and go for edge forming, laminate the surface, and whatever you want.
- Engrave smooth edge forming with 1.25-inch bit height
- Trim the sides or surfaces
- Plunge the way you like
How do you use a Ryobi cordless router?
Operating a cordless router is far easy compared to a cord. Simply lift the router and start carving directly. There is no need for electric supply nor skill for using it.
What does a Ryobi router do?
A Ryobi plunge router is capable of doing anything that is associated with a wood router. You can do the following tasks.
- Trim the cabinetry stuff
- Plunge the wood surfaces
- Give a smooth touch to any portion of the wood piece
4. Makita RT0701CX7 Laminate Wood Router
When someone says Makita, the one thing that comes to my mind is “quality with the budget”. So by far, if you haven’t selected your best wood router then think about the Makita RT0701CX7.
It’s the best choice for beginners or woodworkers who are targeting the routers that are best for money.
The device is about 17 x 10 x 7 inches in dimensions and weighs 3.9 pounds.
Though you will experience some unnecessary vibrations that may cause an imprecise result. Some excessive vibrations may interrupt the fine woodworking.
Overall, It’s a small and laminate router that will trim edges on laminates and wood materials and some of the ideal operations are:
- Classic Bead
- Corner Bead
- Bull Nose Profiles
- Cut grooves
- Inlay pattern work
- Horse Power: This is a 1- 1/4 horsepower compact router that comes with a standard 1-¼ inch collet. It also includes the straight guide and two wrenches as a part of accessories.
- Micro Height Adjustment: Features a micro-adjustment with graduations labeled in inches and millimeters on the router’s body. So you can precisely set your depth and get the height that you desire.
- Variable Speed: This allocates the user to synchronize the speed of the bit with the requirement of the project. The speed can go between 10,000 to 30,000 RPM with constant speed feature.
- Comfortable Grip: Covered with rubber grips for seamless handling.
- Dust Nozzle: Comes with dust nozzle to collect the excessive sawdust that attached to a fixed base.
- Rack-and-Pinion Fine Depth: New adjustment system for most accurate carvings. Also offering a quick release cam lock structure that glides the base in and out easily.
- Soft-Start Feature: It starts with a really nice sluggish that eliminates the cause of jerks and bumps.
- Aluminum Motor Housing: Hardcore aluminum motor housing that promises the durability and heavy-duty tool. The base has three preset height stops and an industry-standard template guide.
- Multiple Base Mergence: It can be merged with up to three different types of bases:
- Plunge base
- Offset base
- Tilt base
- Tilt Base: Base can be tilt for delivering more space and angles while working on tough or narrow areas.
- Offset Base: You can also fuse it with an offset base that will help you to reach narrow areas.
- Guide Rail Adapter: You can Junction it with guide rail adapter for multi-task operations.
- Soft-Start feature
- The base is best for cabin and kitchen shelves and sinks
- Up to 30,000 RPM motor speed
- An easy variable speed control mechanism
- Can engage with three different types of bases
- 1-1/4 HP Heavy-duty motor promises the high performance
- Doesn’t have a see-through base
- Comes with Only One year warranty
- Vibrations are a bit high
5. PORTER-CABLE 690LR 11-Amp Wood Router
This 11 amp motor fixed-base wood router is an excellent choice when you are looking for high horsepower, high RPM along with durable base and design.
The size of this tool is 10 x 10 x 8 inches and weight is 9.4 pounds.
The tool is built up with aluminum and produces 27,500 revolutions-per-minute with the 11-amp monster motor. While giving you some unnecessary vibrations as well.
Let’s dive into more details to dig-out some worthwhile features.
- Horse Power: This tool is designed to yield 1-3/4 horsepower. So it’s a good choice for bigger projects.
- 27,500 Revolutions-Per-Minute: Where the horsepower is so high then why not the rpm will boost up? Yes, it has also a high rpm range that can reach up to 27,500 revolutions-per-minute maximum due to 11 amp motor.
- Micro Depth Adjustment: Almost all routers come with these good features so Porter Cable is. Adjust the depths precisely with the allocation of 1/128 inch.
- Metal Base: The base is fully made up of highly deployed aluminum material. So this is enough to determine the durability of the tool.
- Easy Cam-Lock: Which helps you to adjust the accurate depths and also triggers the router to come out easily.
- High HP & RPM (27500 RPM)
- Metal Base
- Perfect for bigger projects
- 11 Amp motor
- Produce a lot of sounds
- Jerky and vibrating
What does a Porter Cable router do?
It does really nice jobs since it is a large router. So you can trim the edges or plunge in with the help of this tool.
How do I use a Porter Cable router?
- Set the router on the surface.
- Now if you want to get nice beads on wood or flourish the edges of a wooden piece, glide the router through the surface.
- For plunging, use this tool straight away.
Where are Porter Cable routers made?
Porter-Cable is an American brand that is producing good quality woodworking equipment.
Since the company has decided to transfer all manufacturing to China and Mexico so it’s no longer is in the US.
6. Triton TRA001 Plunge Wood Router
When it comes to powerful performance then I will go with the Triton TRA001 plunge router. The shape of the tool is hefty and strong.
Besides that, the top of the device is made up of plastic yet the base is metal constructed and pretty heavy.
However, you may encounter electric component failure after some time of usage.
Nevertheless, the device is getting heated very less compared to other plunge base routers.
- Horsepower: You will get the peak performance of a 3-1/4 horsepower motor with the power of 1400 watts.
- Dual Mode: You will see two different kinds for selecting the plunge depth. The first way is to press the plunge selector switch which is installed in a grip handle and twist the plunge stop lever to set the height by hand. The other one is through twisting the router’s handle and setting the height accordingly.
- Micro Winder: You will get a micro-adjustment knob for fine-tuning during the in-depth plunging.
- Accessories: Two ¼” and ½” collet comes inside the box and a crank handle that will aid in gliding the router up and down when mounted on a table. Also, a wrench to tighten or loosen the collet nut.
- Adjustable Speed Control: 5 steps of constant speed control switch which makes it an adjustable speed router. Also, you can accelerate from 8000 to 21000 RPM in no time.
- Rack-and-Pinion: Also integrated with rack-and-pinion mechanism to set the precise depth settings.
- Soft-Start Feature: Enables you to handle it more accurately and avoid excessive jerks.
- Easy to transform from plunge to a fixed base
- No overheating issues
- Soft start feature circuitry
- Easy maintains
- A bit pricey
- Have some complaints regarding electric circuits components
How do you use a Triton plunge router?
The usage is far easy and you can set the router on your own.
- Assemble the router with base
- Now choose the method of using either fix or plunge routing
- Get your desire results
Are Triton routers any good?
Yes, they are good for heavy working and also easy to handle. But you may not get the most durable router with Triton. Yet it’s a good choice for woodworks.
7. Bosch GKF12V-25N Palm Wood Router
Bosh is once again in my list of best wood routers and this time we have a more compact, versatile, reliable, and easy to grip router with no worries and hassles of a cord.
Yes, this is the brushless, cordless palm router by Bosch and it’s completely sleek and elegant in my opinion.
The dimension of this tiny device is only 5.7 x 3.1 x 9.9 inches and weighs 2.2 pounds which is easy to handle whilst avoiding any wrist tension.
It takes power from a powerful 12 V battery which is mounted on the top of this device and easy to remove as well.
Channing the bits is super easy; just loosen the collet nut, pull out the previous and replace it with the new one.
Depth adjustment is also very easy that you can set through the adjustment knob right under the collet.
One thing that I don’t like is that there are no marks pointed on the adjustment knob so it makes it kind of hard to determine the exact depth. Also, it is specially designed for right-handers.
But overall, it’s a small, lightweight and easy to use cordless palm router.
- Cordless + Brushless: The main source of power for this small tool is a 12-volt battery that drives a brushless motor with 13000 RPM maximum.
- Handy Depth Adjustment: Bosch is promising the traditional fine depth adjustment mechanism. You will get the same conventional depth adjustment system in this version.
- Easy to Carry: Since the router is battery powered so you don’t need to worry about the cords. Easy to grip and carry anywhere you want.
- Long-lasting Battery: Not only the device is battery boosted yet it is long term operational as well.
- Extra Safety Features: Safety comes first, so this tool ensures the safety of a user as well. There is an automatic power button that will avoid turning it on accidentally.
- Excellent noise and vibration reduction
- Best for trim routing
- Amazing battery run time
- Compact and Versatile
- No edge guide included
- No variable speed
Is Bosch GKF12V-25N Cordless Router Good?
In a net shell, yes it is all worth your money. You can use the router for perfect edge forming and trimming.
A battery power device with a strong base and high-class performance.
Yet there are some minor cons as well which I have mentioned above already.
How to use the Bosch Cordless Router?
If you just bought your new Bosch cordless device and are looking for the instructions for use then here they are:
- First of all, put the 12 V battery on the top of the device
- Now install the bit (It depend on the intent of your working)
- So you are all set to trim
8. Ridgid R2401 Hand Wood Router
As the name suggests this small router is Rigid and reliable. Don’t be misled by its tiny size as this small thing can surprise you undeniably.
The device dimensions are 6.5 x 3 x 3 inches with a size of 3 x 3 x 6.5 inches. And it only weighs 4 pounds.
It’s a 5.5 amp corded compact device that runs on 120 v supply and yields up to 20,000 to 30,000 rpm. Also, mount with an LED bulb for better vision in dim light working.
The Rigid R2401 comes with a micro-adjustment dial so you can make precise depth measurements when it is needed. Moreover, the tool allows you to set the speed according to your needs.
What you will encounter when opening the box is the Bearing trim bit, and extra square shape sub-base while the round base is pre-installed.
You will get an edge guide and locking wrenches and a nylon bag. And of course the tiny little router itself.
However, the build quality is a bit disappointing as the most constructive material is made up of cheap plastic.
- Soft-Start Motor: As we have reviewed other tools that have the ability to start with slow torque so this small device is also affirmed with it.
- Variable Speed Dial: Cut the speed down or boost it up whenever you need with variable constant speed dial.
- Easy Motor Removal Lever: This feature allows you to pull out or put in the motor easily.
- 3-Years Warranty: Lifetime service agreement policy with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee, and also a 3-year warranty.
- Very small and easy to hold in one hand.
- Powerful and quick performance.
- Affordable price.
- Quick removal lever.
- Build quality is a bit poor.
- Less dust proof as the dust goes into the inner parts.
How do I use Ridgid trim on my router?
Just follow the steps:
- On Ridgid router base, you will see a quick-release lever
- Hold it up and slide in your router and adjust the depth size with the micro-adjustment dial
- Install your preferred bit
- Start trimming and laminating
How much is a Ridgid router?
They won’t cost too much as most of the tools from Ridgid usually stay under $100 and some are under $150.
What is the best laminate trimmer?
I have already marked the best one in my review so read the whole review carefully to get your best laminate router.
9. Goplus Electric Wood Router
Now comes the Goplus which is another great brand in woodworking equipment. This electric wood router takes 110 volts and 60 Hz frequency to operate.
Get the boom of 16000 to 30,000 rpm with a slow start motor function.
Moreover, you will get 2 wrenches, template guide, timer guide, 8 mm collet chuck, and two carbon brushes as an accessory.
Although the router accomplishes very well you may face an overheating drawback in this device. There is also low-quality plastic motor housing material that makes it sensitive and weak.
- Gradual Start Motor: This tool is also capable to start with jerk less method that also eliminates the excessive vibrations and operates on constant speed
- 1850 Watt Power: The motor has an 1850 watt electric power that’s the reason it’s the powerful tool with affordable price
- High RPM: Goplus is conveying about 16,000 to 30,000 rotation-per-minutes
- Easy Depth Adjustment: You can adjust the depth with the help of top handle since the adjustment button is mounted there
- Very affordable
- Gradual start function
- Very convenient trimming features
- Variable speed control
- Vibrations are excessive
- Less durable
What makes this router different from others?
The very initial entity is its high amp motor and then there is a gradual start motor function as well.
How to use Goplus electric router?
It’s not so tricky to handle and operate this device. Even if you are a novice the operation of this tool is so simple.
- Use it as plunge or fixed base router
- Make beads or plunges
- Cut the wood pieces or laminate the edges
10. Enertwist Small Wood Router
The palm-size compact router with amazing powerful features of the best wood router. Last but not least in my review of the top best wood router of 2020.
So you haven’t yet selected your best wood router then this tiny device may fulfill your desire and needs. It is offering you a soft start powerful motor that can trigger up to 10,000 to 32,000 rpm.
Get a variable speed gage that can do whatever you want in the trimming and plugging way.
Another plus point is that the device is aluminum structured which makes it durable and powerful as well.
The weight of the product is 6.17 pounds with a 10.6 x 8.2 x 6.8 inches dimension and a 7.0Amp motor rating.
Whereas it has so many features there are some cons as well as it creates noise and gets overheated soon.
- Horsepower: 1.25 HP motor with 10,000 to 32,000 rotations-per-minute
- Soft-Start Circuitry: The device is integrated with a soft-start system that provides the super clean edge profiles
- Variable Speed: Get a six points speed adjustment that goes between 10,000 to 32,000 rpm gradually
- Fine Depth Adjustment: Thanks to rack-and-pinion depth control mechanism which allocates the finest trimming and beading on a wood
- Easy to carry and compact
- Affordable price
- Soft start mechanism
- Variable speed adjuster dial
- Overheat Issues
- Create a bit more noise
What RPM are Enertwist router offerings?
This hefty tiny router can generate up to 10,000 to 32,000 RPMs. However, due to insane RPMs, the router gets heat-up.
Is the Enertwist budget-friendly?
Yes, it is very affordable and easy to use. If you are a beginner and looking for some affordable device then this tool is the right choice for you.
Is this a small wood router?
Yes, a small router with high performance. As I have featured the pros and reviews of this product already so you can get the idea of this tool about how small and handy this is.
Complete Wood Router Buyer’s Guide
A carpenter is not less than an artist since he can produce a masterpiece as well. We have seen so many pieces of evidence of epic carpentry and I have experienced so many.
So when it comes to choosing a tool for carpentry whether it’s a router, electric saw, jigsaw, or a simple claw hammer, a woodworker should pay his full devotion while choosing them.
Since the market is crowded with several woodworking equipments, it’s become really hard to elect-out the finest one.
However, thanks to my colleagues and seniors who have taught me a lot during these 40 years of my job in carpentry.
So now through my experience and practice, I have squeezed some factors that must be a part of any best wood router.
Let’s look at what those secret elements are:
- Horse Power (HP)
- Speed (Best if Variable)
- Types of Base
- Constructive Material
I will elaborate on my buyer’s guide with these elements.
Horse Power (HP)
It’s the first aspect that I consider when I buy a new wood router. Although HP depends on your needs and project types, having a fast and powerful router can save your day.
We labeled the catalog as follows.
- Large Routers – Equal or above from 1.75 HP
- Small Routers – Equal or less from 1.75 HP
Speed – Best if Variable
Speed is the second most considerable aspect to perform master-level woodworking. However, speed almost hinges on horsepower. If the router comes with variable speed then it’s more suitable as you can set the speed just according to your project demands.
If you have read the full review then you may already have seen that almost all of the routers that I have reviewed have a variable speed feature.
Types of Base
Throughout the whole review, I have mentioned two major types of routers that are:
However, the selection of base is almost hanging on the necessity of your working. I will further deliberate the base types and their major uses in this review.
This aspect is pretty clear and I don’t think that I have to explain this in deep detail. Because the reason is that, if you are willing to buy any mechanical tool or another thing then you must acquire the product with high-quality constructive material.
So in the case of the best wood router, we will implement the same formula so we get what we pay for.
Most of the time, we get distracted with some ornate and attractive tools besides it lacks quality. So don’t get into these types of products and always choose a reliable product even if it looks like trash.
Most of the best router tools are made up of:
- High-Quality Aluminum motor housing
- Other Allow Material
- Polycarbonate Plastic
Here comes the best part of the guide. Durability is everything when you are looking for an electronic tool. It’s because the electronic equipment tends to fail very quickly as compared to non-electric.
So while choosing the best wood router, why won’t you look for the durability or long term life of a device? So, always keep this point in your consideration.
A good router is built up with high-quality alloy or aluminum and has a durable motor and long term life expectancy.
It says the brand name sells. And it is a quiet truth. As the brand builds trust so people tend to buy a thing from a highly famed brand.
Though the big brands are popular it’s not obvious that they make anything perfect. So while purchasing the best woodworking router, you should do a comparison of some big brands to some tiny ones and figure out the difference.
It is quite possible that you will get a better product with less price from a small brand rather than the most famous brand. But most of the time a trusty and famous brand becomes everything you are willing for.
However the quality is always the king, but there is another aspect that needs to be engaged while choosing your best router. And that facet is the price.
Let’s be frank here as you are not going to buy a $300 router tool when you have just joined the woodworking. Isn’t it? Of course, it is obvious.
Similarly, neither would you want to buy a cut-rate 70 bucks tool with cheap material and imprecise outputs. So what you are looking for is the best tool with an affordable price tag and this is not a bad thing indeed.
If you are a novice then I recommend you to first buy a reasonable device and make some piece of art then come to a multitasking hefty router.
So these are my guiding principles to choose the right tool for the right task. Further, I will discuss the types of routers and their specific jobs.
Kinds of Wood Routers
As I have mentioned earlier about the types of wood router now I will explain them in detail. Moreover, I will point out some pros and cons of each type.
So let’s get into it and have a glance at the most popular router types.
- Compact Router
- Palm Router
- Trim / Laminate Router
- Plunge Router
- Fixed-Base Router
- Small / Hand Held Router
- Cordless Routers
- CNC Router
This category is dedicated to all routers that are compact but delivers the full potation output. You can check the compact router on this review above and select the right one for you.
As the name suggests, these types of woodworking routers are full of premium features and these devices are more convenient to operate as well.
Compact routers tend to operate only on ¼” shank bits so you cannot use a ½” bit here. Although they can perform 80% of the routing tasks.
So these types of devices are best if you are a beginner or working in home garages or skilled as well.
- Easy to carry and manage
- Take less space
- More accurate and precise in their duties
- It can be upgraded to other types like a plunge base etc.
- Not suitable to hefty projects
- Only accepts ¼” bits
You can imagine the router size by the name of it. Yes, a palm router is a small or compact woodworking router that is used for lightweight tasks.
Most of the time, woodworkers use this palm device to flourish the cabinet edges or remove the unnecessary veneer from the edges. It also operates on a ¼” shank bit and you can take advantage of it.
Palm devices are run on motors that mostly come under 2 HP.
- Short but can do 75% of all routing tasks
- Super easy to handle as they are palm routers
- A durable and fast approach
- Cannot do heavy tasks
Trim / Laminate Router
A trim or laminate router is a small wood router that used to laminate the surface of the wood. Some use it as profiling the wood edges or some use it to laminate the Formica.
A trim router can reach up to 30,000 rpm speed and it works very well on softwood pieces.
Besides that, a trimmer can be used as a chamfering and jointing.
- Use it to shape or finishing the edges
- A good rpm speed up to 30,000 rpm
- Perform almost all tasks
- Not suitable for heavy task
Basically, a plunge router is an advanced form of a fixed-base router. I will discuss the fixed base further, but before reaching that let’s clear the concept on plunge one.
Plunge means to hollow out a piece from hard stuff like wood or plastic or even metal. So a plunge router is designed to plunge into the wooden surface and hollow out the surface.
In short, a simple woodworking router is used in a plunge base which makes it a plunge router. Yes, it’s the tool’s base that makes it fixed and plunge as well.
Therefore, for this kind, we use a plunge base that is usually constructed with die-cast aluminum. Also, there are two springs and columns to support the router inside it.
Moreover, these spring-based columns allow plunging the tool up and down so it can perform the drilling task. Most plunge bases come with micro modification of depth so this makes it pretty easy to set the height and get a clear-cut plunge.
- Easy to move up and down to plunge in the wood
- Due to the see-through base, you can get more accurate results
- You can also use an edge guide to perform a straight line tumbling
- Cannot use a fixed base router
Let’s explore the fixed base now. As I explain the plunge base above the fixed base is quite similar to it. There is only a minor difference here in the term of functionality.
A fixed base is a tool with a non-moveable base. Either you can use it forth and back yet cannot press it up and down.
This type of tool is only used for rounding the edges or laminating the surface. The bit size and shapes are also different but they can plunge into the different stuff as well. It only aids in the smoothing or shaping of the edges.
Glide it with an inlay pattern and make some flourish shapes.
- Can be upgraded to plunge router with a plunge base
- Small in size and easy to handle
- A decent capacity of incessant work
- Accomplish precise patterns
- Without a plunge base, you cannot use as a plunge router
Small / Hand Held Router
These are small enough to operate with only one hand and that is why sometimes we call them handheld routers or one-handed routers as well.
These tools are also similar to all the above mentioned and they are just famous for their tiny sizes. Otherwise, these tools are parallel to others in working.
- Small and can be handled with one hand
- Easy to grip and ensure more detailed carvings
- Not compatible with big routers
Great for those who hate the cord hassles. I know sometimes it becomes quite hard to manage the cords while carving some detailed designs.
So here comes the cordless routers that will eliminate all problems that are associated with corded routers.
These devices take power from the battery since there is no cord for electricity intake. These equipment are also very easy to grip and small in size.
Although you may not meet the exact amount of torque that you will get from a corded one.
- Very sleek design and stylish
- Small in size and easy in griping
- No hassle to manage the cord
- Long-lasting battery power
- Less torque capacity
CNC Wood Router
In a nutshell, the best CNC router is an advanced form of a simple wood router that is more precise and accurate since it works with computing.
Yes, a CNC that stands for Computer Numerical Control is the most accurate and automated form of the wood router. In this type of router, the motor is functioned with a computerized system.
So you can carve into any wooden material without any hassle and misled output.
In this type, you install a router into a CNC kit and then make a connection with a computer. Also, install a programmer software into your computer which will instruct the router how and where to carve.
- Very accurate carving due to computerized automated program
- Quick performance so save your time
- Requires no human interaction
- Only suitable for small projects
So these are the most famous and widely used types of routers and I hope now you abundantly understand each kind and its functions.
How to use a Wood Router? Easy Guide for Beginners
In woodworking, a tool is always a jewel for the carpenter. Without the encouragement of tools, a woodworker can do nothing even if he is Alvar Alto.
However, when we talk about the wood router, then operating this tool is a bit tricky for beginners while experts are experts.
The supremacy of this tool cannot be denied since it is widely using, both in industry and home-based projects.
Recruiting this small powerful tool is a great investment whilst working on some standard projects.
With the aid of this tool, you can make smooth and stylish edges, cuts, trim, dadoes, and laminate the wood and plastic stuff.
Let’s have a deep dive and see what are the miracles of this device.
So what exactly is a Wood Router?
Before I enlighten each practice of this tool, let’s first catch out on the functionality of the tool.
In cabinetry and decorative woodworking, we need to make classy edges, cut the wood, make decorative carvings, and plunge out the precise woodcuts.
So how do we do that? Yes, it’s all conceivable due to different types of wood routers. A router is used to rout out or drill into the wood material or even metal and plastic.
Routers now become a mandatory part of the cabinetry.
Uses of Routers
Shaping the Edges
The very common and easy use of a router is to shape the wood edges. Look around at your room, see all the cabinets, computer tables, wooden picture frames, and chairs, what you have observed?
Did you see the stylish roman ogee or beaded designs on them? If yes, then they all are made up with the aid of routers.
Moreover, sharpening an edge on a narrow or rounded piece of wood is a little challenging. So we use router bits to form an even and sharp edge profile.
You can create decorative moldings using different kinds of bits.
Cut the Rabbets
Rabbets are used to make adhesive joints. A rabbet is a cut or groove in the edge of a wooden piece to the junction with another rabbet. And this ensures a strong joint.
With the help of a router bit, you can make different sizes of rabbets.
Have you ever wondered when seeing a wooden board with engraved letters? Did you ever think about how they did it? So here is your answer that it is all possible with routers.
These tools are used to make different kinds of lettering and stylish engravings on the workpiece.
Common Problems and Troubleshoot
Keeping your tools in the maintained condition is an essential part of your job. However, sometimes we can’t control the circumstances and get into a frustrating situation.
It is very exasperated to deal with a defective router. Although it is a case of trouble and some aspects might be involved in the disability of your tool.
So let’s find out how you can overcome those common issues on your own.
Power is the first aspect to check whenever your tool goes out of order. Sometimes it is only the fault of a loosens plug into a socket.
So make sure your power supply is in an active condition.
Solution: Check the plug and socket if there is any problem fix it. If the problem is not with a plug then you need to open your tool and check for safety fuse.
Most of the time it only requires changing the fuse and that’s it.
In case, you have a battery-powered tool, then test the battery with a voltmeter and see if the battery is dead or not.
It’s another most common issue in these tools. As the router works with bits so sometimes it gets a break and that can cause an injury as well.
Solution:The reason for this defect is a low-quality tool or a less harp bit. So always make sure to use a good brand and check the sharpness and fitting of the bit properly before using it.
Wearing protective gear is also very beneficial in these cases.
The motor is the heart of your tool as 90% of the tool’s functionality is dependent on it. So it is very usual that the motor gets bumped due to overheating and over voltage.
There is no need to be panic, instead, find the solution for it.
Solution: Oiled your motor frequently to avoid this defect. Moreover, if the motor windings are burned then you have to rewind the motor.
Irregular Bit Speed
Experiencing an irregular bit seed? The very common cause is a loose or worn router belt. If you examine the belts then you will see either it has been worn out or got loosed so much.
Solution: in this case, you have to change the routing belt. Always use a branded and compatible belt to avoid any discomfort.
Depth of Bit
When you are working on the best router table it is required to set the depth of the bit according to the demands. But often, the sawdust fills the gap up and it causes the bit to stick higher.
This triggers the resistance and source of excessive heat due to friction. It can reduce the life of the tool as well as the motor.
Solution: Use compressed air pressure to dig out the sawdust. For sticky sawdust, use a screwdriver and carve out all dust.
Frequently Asked Question
What is the best wood router?
So far in this review and with my personal experience, DEWALT DWP611PK is the best wood router.
Who makes the best wood router?
There are so many brands out there who are developing and creating best wood routers and you can check below:
All these brands are famous for their perfect woodworking tools.
What is the best wood router to buy?
As I have already suggested to you the best buy router so you can check it above in the review.
What is the best router for a beginner?
This is the question that I heard so many times whenever I do a review of routers or talk about in public.
In this article, I would suggest Ryobi Cordless Router Best for Beginners. So if you are a novice or you just join the world of carpentry then take you to start with Ryobi cordless.
There are few cases to suggest it.
- First of all, it is cordless and runs on a preinstalled battery so it makes it kind of easy and suitable for beginners
- Second thing is, it has a decent shape and grip that will ensure the precise trimming and edging
- Thirdly, the tool is powerful enough to take an initial approach
- And last but not least, it has a long-life battery stamina
So take you to start with this tool and get into the world of cabinetry.
What is a wood router good for?
In a short answer, routers are good at shaping and styling the edges. With different kinds of bits, you can create decorative edges with smooth finishing.
Another frequent use of this tool is straight grooving on a piece of wood. You can make dovetail joints and template cuts as well.
What is the best 1/2 inch router?
- BOSCH POF 1200 AE ELECTRIC
- TRITON TRA001 2400W
- DEWALT DW625EK
What is the best router for a router table?
- Dewalt DW616
- Bosch 1617EVS 2-1/4 HP
- Triton TRA001
- Milwaukee 5625-20
- Porter-Cable 7518